Labor Day Menu: Down-Home Cooking
Consider this feast a Labor Day labor of love. First Up: Corn Dogs!
Does it gat any more all-American? Try these for your Labor Day feast!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 4 jumbo hot dogs
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 4 wooden skewers
- ketchup and yellow mustard, for serving
- Preheat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. BE CAREFUL!
- Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir in milk and egg and whisk gently until fully combined.
- Once the oil reaches 360ºF, thread hot dogs onto skewers. Dip each in batter, rolling until fully coated, and quickly drop entire stick into oil. Fry two at a time for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat for remaining corn dogs. Serve warm, with ketchup and mustard.